End-Point Assessment for Prison and Probation Services enables the long-term development of a highly skilled, sustainable workforce for the future, progressing apprentices through Custody and Detention Officer EPA. For national levy paying employers working in Probation Services, it’s critical to ensure that apprentices are supported through End-Point Assessment and vitally have the required skills, knowledge, and behaviours to do the role of Custody and Detention Officer safely and effectively.
The role of an Apprentice Custody and Detention Officer
An Apprentice Custody and Detention officer typically works for employers in Prison and Probation Services such as HMPPS, as a Prison Officer, Custodial Officer, Detention Officer or Escorting Officer. Apprentices training in this role work in secure environments such as prisons, and work to ensure that individuals are held in a secure, safe, decent, and fair environments, working as part of a team to ensure that safety is a priority.
Probation employers support the training and development of apprentice Custody and Detention officers who play a key role in rehabilitation of those in probation services. The role will differ according to the employer delivering the apprenticeship, but the key knowledge, skills and behaviours required to be competent in the role will be the same and these are assessed in the final End-Point Assessment programme.
Talk to the experts
Take the hassle out of End-Point Assessment, talk to our dedicated team who will support your organisation through EPA.Get in touch
SFJ Awards is the leading Custody, Detention and Probation Services EPAO
As the leading Custody and Detention EPAO (End-Point Assessment Organisation) in England, and with a tried and tested approach to prison and probation sector apprenticeships, we offer impartial, robust, and supportive solutions to help employers guide their apprentices through EPA.
- Our expert assessors have significant sector experience and take a customer-focussed approach, helping us to deliver a first-class End-Point Assessment (EPA) service. The comprehensive support we provide to all of our EPA customers includes a virtual information session for your staff, delivered by sector specialists, to bring the EPA to life, answer any queries and to support them when preparing apprentices for EPA.
- To enable the EPA to run smoothly, apprentices are registered with us using Odyssey Online, our online learner management system. Using Odyssey, you will be able to register apprentices one at a time or in bulk, and the system will provide real time management reports, which include information on an apprentice’s progress and achievements.
Extra guidance for EPA when you work with SFJ Awards
We want to make sure that, as an employer, you receive the best possible guidance and support throughout your EPA journey, to make sure that you have the best experience in readiness for the assessment of your apprentices. Our dedicated team help employers planning EPA by going the extra mile with:
- Ongoing guidance before your EPA, including unlimited access to speak to our EPA team, and an on-site visit from our EPA Service Manager.
- Access to an e-portal that enables you to carefully track your apprentices’ goals and achievements, from registration and gateway through to certification.
- Qualified and recommended Independent Assessors who conduct the EPA Observation and EPA Professional Discussion.
- Access to online or paper-based knowledge tests to help ensure your apprentices have gained the right level of expertise to do their role.
- Robust quality assurance processes give our EPA customers complete peace of mind.
- Results and detailed feedback for your apprentices, irrespective of the outcome of their EPA.
- An EPA checklist that helps you throughout the process, making sure you’ve covered all the essentials to be ready for EPA.
Talk to our EPA team
We understand the challenges for probation service apprenticeships and training. Our specialists in apprenticeships and custody & detention sector EPA will work collaboratively with you as a trusted partner throughout the assessment process.Start an EPA plan
EPA Webinars and Virtual Events
Our online events programme is free and on-demand to help keep you up to date on the latest sector-specific news, products, services and best practice.Watch on-demand
Receive the latest news
Receive the most relevant news and updates that matter to you the most, based on your interests, plus priority booking for on-demand events and webinars about End-Point Assessment planning.Sign-up now